Sunday 22 May 2011

Day 7 - Earl Shilton to Stamford

After a smashing night staying with our friends Kevin & Julie and a great breakfast they made for us, we didn't set off until gone 11:00hrs today. There was quite a strong, blustery wind from the west and there had been a threat of rain so I was wearing my long leggings and a fleece top over my T-shirt.

Todays route took us in a generally easterly direction through villages such as Stoney Stanton, Broughton Astley and a host of others with double-barrelled names. Sure enough, when I pulled up at a pub to "spend a penny", it was in a village called Peatling Magna! There were so many double-barrelled names, that I was gobsmacked when I saw this signpost:

Not one on that signpost - what were the chances of that?

Well actually, in that area, it was quite common! However, take a look at the name of the cycle network route 6 that I was following:

Guthlaxton? Trips off the tongue does that!!

I carried on through Smeeton Westerby, Kibworth Beauchamp, Kibworth Harcourt and Tur Langton - I spotted this windmill (there were others) as I rode along:







The village of Hallaton was very picturesque - but almost dead! I only saw two people the whole time I was in the village!











Just a few miles later and only a couple of miles from the lunch stop, I encountered the only really steep hill of the day. It was hard work but made slightly easier by the strong, blustery wind. I was however still breathing hard when I pulled up to meet Janice at Don Paddy's Wine Bar in Uppingham. I treated myself to a couple of pints of cider with my lunch which was a superb pork loin open sandwich with a mustard mayonnaise and baked apple slices. Janice couldn't resist the quiche and took a picture of it especially for Louise!

Here's a picture of a rather cheerful me - I don't know whether it is just the cider speaking but I have genuinely enjoyed riding today.



The following two pictures illustrate the similarities between two different transport systems - I was hoping there might be a road version for me to snap as well, but no luck.


Shortly after going through South Luffenham, I went past an army base (a Royal Artillery regiment I believe) and was about to stop and take a picture of the two old artillery pieces guarding the main entrance when I realised I was being watched by a chap carrying a real gun, so I thought better of it and carried on riding.





Shortly after passing through a village called Wing, my intended route was blocked by a closed road sign. After a quick conversation with a couple of locals who were conveniently nearby, I planned a reroute which would have minimal impact on my mileage and amount of climbing I'd have to do. I was now in the county of Rutland - a small county that is mainly occupied by a reservoir called Rutland Water. I stopped at the visitor centre and treated myself to an ice cream. Whilst I sat eating it I phoned my Dad to let him know how we were doing and it was obviously as windy in Sussex as it was up here by the amount of wind noise on the microphone at his end. Unbeknowst to me, Janice was also in the large car park at the visitor centre at the same time as me - but I didn't spot her.





There's a signposted cycle route from Rutland Water all the way to Stamford but I only saw one other cyclist - he was behind me and catching me rapidly as I slowly wound my way up a slight hill. I couldn't let him catch me so somehow I managed to find some extra energy and upped my speed. Helped by the road flattening out and the wind remaining at my back, within a mile I'd completely dropped him - teehee - and I was rapidly approaching the finish. Being a Sunday, everything seemed to be closed in Stamford but I easily found our hotel, The George Inn. It's a bit posh and there were even a couple of Supercars in the car park:









Beauty and The Beast!


Stats:

Unfortunately I left my speedo on my bike and it's locked away for the night!

But, I think they are:

Miles ridden today: about 48.5

Average speed: about 14.1 mph

Maximum speed: 40.1 mph (I can remember that one!)

1 comment: